Tag Archives: Mill

Breaking Ground on the Cannon

My father’s health has improved a lot and I have a three-day weekend: it’s high time I started getting the new version of Cannon built. I have spent the last few days machining away and making small changes to my drawings. With the exception of the first side rail (on which I carelessly used a 1/4″ end mill instead of the 1/8″ end mill I told my GCode generator I would use), everything has gone surprisingly smoothly. There have been no bumps in the road.

Just kidding, this is combat robotics — where the probability of fire is about equal to the probability of success. Things actually have gone relatively smoothly. The biggest issue I have had during my time standing in my machine shop was that the power went out while I was making the top. Luckily, I was able to finish cutting the piece out with an X-Acto knife. X-Acto knives always seem to save the day.

As of writing (I am taking a break from working), I have a very nice looking pile of parts. I just need to cut the back out and drill 20 holes before I can wire up Cannon and take it for a drive. Before any kind of spinning takes place, I will need to create some pulleys on my lathe and make a belt. It looks like everything will somehow get done before Motorama, which is a big relief.

Here are some pictures of the build process so far:

This pile of parts has about a month to becoming a functioning, radio-controlled killer.

This pile of parts has about a month to becoming a functioning, radio-controlled killer.

The beginnings of a 3/8"-thick side rail for Cannon.

The beginnings of a 3/8″-thick side rail for Cannon.

The mill putting finishing touches on one of Cannon's rails.

The mill putting finishing touches on one of Cannon’s rails.

A finished side rail. It needs to be cleaned up a little more and get mounting holes drilled in it, but it is more or less complete.

A finished side rail. It needs to be cleaned up a little more and get mounting holes drilled in it, but it is more or less complete.

Robot Update

I’ll admit it — I am way behind of where I normally am robot-wise at this time of year. At this time last year, I was spending the better part of my weekends toiling over the mill trying to get Coercion done and troubleshooted. This year, much of the time I would have spent building robots has been dedicated to visiting my dad in the hospital over an hour away, as he has been very sick. Still, Motorama is about a month away and it will not wait for me. It’s time to get some robots built.

I have already designed Cannon and Coercion’s new blade (with some slight changes from the original post). Cannon’s blade and Coercion’s blade will be fabricated by Team Whyachi, since I am not overwhelmingly comfortable machining neither titanium nor S7. I don’t consider our mill’s CNC reliable enough to machine a hundred dollars worth of material at once. Besides, the S7 blade needs to be heat-treated to avoid another Bot Blast debacle (the blade bending 30 degrees).

Here’s what will need to happen over the course of the next month:

  • I will need to receive Coercion’s blade and Cannon’s beater from TW.
  • I will need to CNC mill Cannon’s body.
  • I will need to create some blade hubs on the lathe.
  • I will need to fashion and harden an S7 weapon shaft for Cannon.
  • Lots of testing.
  • Ordering a few new parts.

Overall, it should be manageable. There are a few three-day weekends coming up that I can completely dedicate to “botting it,” and there is still a month until Motorama. The race is on. Let’s hope it ends in a trophy…

The good news is that I converted all my SLDPRT drawings for Cannon’s sides into DXFs, then created GCode from the DXFs today.

I use GMail to transfer the files between my dad's PC (which has the GCode generation software) and the mill-driving PC. I use Mach3 to drive the CNC.

I use GMail to transfer the files between my dad’s PC (which has the GCode generation software) and the mill-driving PC. I use Mach3 to drive the CNC.