It shouldn’t surprise you that I’m still working on Hawgrade–now called “Gradesolve.” I’ve been making a huge amount of progress with it. Well, I suppose I should say “was making a huge amount of progress.” Today was my dreaded IE day: I’ve been testing everything in Internet Explorer.
The problem was simple: it didn’t work. Not working, however, is easy to fix. The bigger problem was that the modal worked in the Bootstrap documentation. I was at a loss; I spent hours digging through my code, making messy tweaks, and was on the brink of throwing out the comment editing functionality when I finally decided to look at what was going on with the browser standards inside the iframe in which the magic editor does its magic.
I’ll give those of you who’ve had to go through this the doctype of the page that was inside the iframe (generated by an outside source):
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
Yep. WHEN I USED IE VERSION 8 OR OLDER, THE DOCUMENT MODE WAS SET TO IE5 QUIRKS. That’s the rough equivalent of trying to run an iOS app on MS-DOS. It’s not going to work.
Luckily, the fix is relatively easy. I added this to the head of my page (it is not feasible to change the doctype of the served page):
<meta http-equiv='X-UA-Compatible' content='IE=edge'>
That forces IE to render in whatever the latest and greatest document mode for the browser mode is.