Tag Archives: Construction

Breaking Ground on the Cannon

My father’s health has improved a lot and I have a three-day weekend: it’s high time I started getting the new version of Cannon built. I have spent the last few days machining away and making small changes to my drawings. With the exception of the first side rail (on which I carelessly used a 1/4″ end mill instead of the 1/8″ end mill I told my GCode generator I would use), everything has gone surprisingly smoothly. There have been no bumps in the road.

Just kidding, this is combat robotics — where the probability of fire is about equal to the probability of success. Things actually have gone relatively smoothly. The biggest issue I have had during my time standing in my machine shop was that the power went out while I was making the top. Luckily, I was able to finish cutting the piece out with an X-Acto knife. X-Acto knives always seem to save the day.

As of writing (I am taking a break from working), I have a very nice looking pile of parts. I just need to cut the back out and drill 20 holes before I can wire up Cannon and take it for a drive. Before any kind of spinning takes place, I will need to create some pulleys on my lathe and make a belt. It looks like everything will somehow get done before Motorama, which is a big relief.

Here are some pictures of the build process so far:

This pile of parts has about a month to becoming a functioning, radio-controlled killer.

This pile of parts has about a month to becoming a functioning, radio-controlled killer.

The beginnings of a 3/8"-thick side rail for Cannon.

The beginnings of a 3/8″-thick side rail for Cannon.

The mill putting finishing touches on one of Cannon's rails.

The mill putting finishing touches on one of Cannon’s rails.

A finished side rail. It needs to be cleaned up a little more and get mounting holes drilled in it, but it is more or less complete.

A finished side rail. It needs to be cleaned up a little more and get mounting holes drilled in it, but it is more or less complete.